Sunday, October 11, 2009

We said goodbye to our beloved mother and grandmother yesterday. It was really beautiful. There were wonderful pictures, picked out by the three sisters and put on a display board by Rosemary. Mary Sweeney was so beautiful! It was wonderful to see her as a young woman and remember her the way she was when I was growing up, before arthritis slowed her down. Several people got up and shared memories and heartfelt tributes. We sang some hymns I remember from childhood, heard a poem and the prayer that got her through her darkest moments.

Afterwards, the family came back to my parent's house where we ate, drank and laughed. We got to hear bits of letters that she had written to Adrian, who, clever man, has organized a binder with the cards and letters she sent him. Adrian, I'll be borrowing that idea from you. The sisters gave the grandchildren a little folder with some information about her life, and the program and hymns of the service, as a keepsake. They also gave us a CD with the pictures from the display board, and a framed picture of Grammie that has always been one of my favorites. We think it was taken at Christmas '92, right after Clinton was elected, because my grandmother looks like she's talking politics and she looks so happy!

Everything looked beautiful, everyone got along well, and I was so glad to be there. To be part of the events, and share the memories.

Tomorrow I head back to my boys who I've missed horribly this week. I am so glad, though, that I had this time with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment