This first one was while we were in Germany.
We were sitting at the dining room table, just chatting.
Geo turned to me and said, "My granddad is a really smart man."
For the record, this was apropos of nothing we were discussing, but I thought it was really sweet (and true!).
Yesterday, we were discussing the Advent wreath I've put out. I was explaining that we light the candles each Sunday, as we get nearer to celebrating Christmas, which is Jesus' birthday.
"Mama, Jesus isn't in YOUR tummy."
"No, that's true. He was in his mama's tummy. Actually, her name was also Mary!"
Astonished look at me. "Just like YOU!!"
"That's right, I was named after her."
"But our baby isn't Jesus."
"No, that's true, our baby won't be Jesus."
The last snippet comes from a Kevin Henkes book. Anna and Granddad sent Geo a wonderful DVD full of Kevin Henkes books, read out loud. Geo knows it by heart. Yesterday afternoon we went to the local library, and checked out Chrysanthemum, the book that is also the title of Geo's DVD. Of course, it's in French. We took it home and he wanted me to read it to him right away. I was translating it as I was reading, and while I've certainly heard the story many times from the DVD, I don't have it memorized quite like he does.
Me: "' Chrysanthemum didn't think her name was absolutely perfect. She thought it was absolutely AWFUL.'"
Geo: "No, mama. 'Absolutely DREADFUL'."
Oh, and I think it's absolutely hilarious that the grandson of a librarian (and grand-nephew of two other librarians) can't pronounce library. He calls it a liberry. We were laughing about it yesterday, on our way there. Blueberry, strawberry, liberry! Anna, did you know you're a liberrian? Ah, well, he'll figure it out eventually.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment