Friday, September 4, 2009

First Day of School Special Edition

Well, it happened. The day I was simultaneously looking forward to and dreading. The FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL.

It went really well. Really, really well. Geo was cheerful and excited (though to be honest, he's almost always cheerful and often excited). We had breakfast, got dressed, took some First Day of School pictures and walked over to his school.

We met his teacher, got into the classroom and he immediately started playing. We hung around for a bit, getting instructions (lots and lots and lots of forms to fill out), then it was time for the parents to leave. I gave him a big hug and a kiss and told him I'd pick him up at lunchtime. "Ok," he said nonchalantly. "Bye-bye."

I went home and managed to get a ton of chores done. When I came back at lunchtime he was ready and waiting, and told me they'd played with balls "Inside the classroom, mama!", read a story, gone on the playground, sung a song. He told me he liked his teacher. He said two boys had chased him around the playground, growling at him. I told him he was going back tomorrow, and he said, "No! I don't want to go for TWO days!". I guess he thought it was a one-time deal. Little does he know that school will be a big part of his life for the next 15-20 years...

Some pictures of Geo's first day:

Well, the night before (yes, he did the track design by himself!):


On the way to school:


Gee, why don't we have this toy at home?


Big ole grin:


This is what he was doing when we left:


I'm sure as the school year progresses there will be lots of interesting tidbits about how different French schooling is to the American system. For the moment, though, nothing too strange or different to report.

Today, his second day, was rougher. He really didn't want to go, and it took a promise of making oatmeal-raisin cookies this afternoon to soothe the wounded spirit and accept that he was going to school again this morning. There was a lot more crying in the classroom today, too. I hope he has a good time and will keep the blog updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment